Saturday, November 21, 2009

Holy Mung Beans

Well I'm home in Florida for Thanksgiving, and what do I find? Esther is sprouting Mung Beans:


That clutter in the back? No special effects.

Mung beans are holy in ancient Indian Ayurvedic medicine, they originate in India and Pakistan, and contain dietary fiber, thiamin, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and copper. Also a good source of folate, for those looking to get pregnant.

And a bit of trivia: Where do you think bean sprouts that you get from Chinese restaurants come from, smarty pants? Mung beans. So if you like the taste of those, these are just a little bit nuttier.

The Gordons traditionally put them in salad, but I saw this little creation yesterday and thought I would share:


Those are French lentils, grape tomatoes sliced in half and mung beans. Add to this a little salad dressing OR salt, pepper, lemon juice and a small bit of olive oil. Pretty, pretty good.

6 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks delicious. Did you know that preggos are not allowed to eat sprouts of any kind? When I get this little baby parasite out of here, it's all sprouts and champagne, all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mooks, I had no idea. I bet you're missing sushi too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. new post request. maybe something holiday or wedding themed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need more from you! Your blog is too few and far between. How about a weekly update?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Anonymous, I've been asking for more since I met this little pisser.

    ReplyDelete