Friday, February 26, 2010

If you think sardines are disgusting, I think you're disgusting

Welcome back! There are several excuses for my absence (new job*, move 1, move 2, move 3, The Office marathons and the new Vampire Weekend album), but you'll be relieved to know that I live and breathe and occasionally cook. I'm still getting my new kitchen warmed up for some unbelievable culinary masterpieces, so until then, I'll share some low-impact meals I've recently enjoyed.

Sardines on the half shell
I don't want to hear from you that sardines are disgusting. They are a delicacy. A del-i-ca-cy. (Esther, back me up). This is what we call a delicate lunch where I'm from:
1. buy boneless, skinless sardiness in a tin from any local supermarket

2. toast your best bread.
3. mash sardines over top of bread and squeeze A TON of lemon juice (at least a table spoon per half slice of bread).
4. align thinly sliced onions on top
5. enjoy.

And to go with it, we have a simple little salad you can serve as a side to anything fishy. I like to call this:

Don't you wish it was Spring Salad
No real measurements on this one, just eyeball it to your own preference.


Ingredients are:
chickpeas
cucumber diced
grape tomatoes halved
calamata olives chopped
lemon juice
olive oil
salt
black pepper
Mix together and serve.

And finally, a relatively inexpensive organic wine that I found to be worthy of purchase, when cost to taste ratio was measured:

Stay warm!

*This post brought to you by snow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment