Monday, December 28, 2009

Greens, Groins and Guest Granola

Courtesy of Alison, inspired by many of my family members requesting her homemade granola recipe.

Hello, Health-Nuts! I'm one of Jessica's dearest friends, and shockingly also a consumer of medium-rare meat, white pasta and copious amounts of dairy products. However since I've had the opportunity to live with our chef in close quarters, I have come to love body-and-mind-conscious cooking (some of my faves being: Cotes du Rhone, Brussels Sprouts and Salmon with lemon and bread crumbs). This holiday season I was looking for something small I could make and package to give to my co-workers that would show my dedication to wellness living (a contrast to last year's gift of blocks of fudge). I stumbled upon this lovely blog with this lovely recipe:

Now, if you're like me and blow this up to full size, you will see some of the measurements are rather hard to read. This might lead to putting in double the amount of honey and double the amount of brown sugar. Some people call these "happy accidents." The only thing that really happens is you come out with more of a granola bar with sticky fingers rather than granola you sprinkle in your non-fat greek yogurt.

So, ed note for sprinkely granola:
1/4 cup of honey
3/4-ish cup brown sugar
1/3-ish cup of the add-ins

I omitted the dried cherries and substituted them with dark chocolate chips (some habits never die). I also used a plastic spatula instead of a metal one (it's a recession).

Everyone at work seemed to love it, claiming they ate "half the bag before lunch!" (it was a snack sized bag, c'mon). I tested both versions out in the Berkshires, in oatmeal and on my couch, and I have to say it proved delicious in all scenarios. Here's to snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment