Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Food from my homeland.

I visited Palm Beach Gardens this weekend and had a great time!

And while I'm not complaining, I'd like to state that on my first night home in six months, here's what was for dinner:


A. it was leftovers
B. my dad made it
C. the day before

From L-R, that's leftover French lentils, leftover Basmati rice and a leftover concoction I like to call "everything-but-the-50-inch-TV-screen Tempeh." If you ask what's in it, it's a little different every time, but the basis of the dish is Tempeh sauteed in coconut oil, kale (naturally), garlic, fresh ginger, Braggs Amino Acids, dry Sherry, Basil, Oregano, and anything else my dad can find in the spice cabinet. Truthfully, it tastes better than it looks, and I'd be happy to get you the somewhat exact recipe if you so desire.

After celebrating the head of the Jewish New Year at a cousin's with Sun-dried tomato brisket (yes, I ate it and yes, it was damn good), and having one too many Vodka-cranapples ('one too many' being one), I got to meet this little Brazilian cutie:



Only four months old, and a full head of perfectly-styled side part. I think he has a future in Brooklyn.

Then, on Saturday night, Esther redeemed herself with...

Mini Soufflés!!



Basically, these are mini baked omelets with leeks, mushrooms, peas, fresh Basil and feta, courtesy of Ivy Larson (who babysat me as a wee child). Recipe here (scroll down to find it). Tomatoes on top were a Gordon addition.

Almost as adorable and yummy as those pulkes above.

Stay tuned for more items from the Gordon Fridge of Life...

1 comment: