Monday, September 7, 2009

Greens Day: Brussels Sprouts (did you know there was an 's' on the end?)

When I was a wee pre-schooler, one of my favorite games was to pretend I fell asleep in the car on the way home from school. It was a real hoot when I got home and tricked my parents (I'm an only child, don't judge me. I also stuffed beads up my nose on occasion).

One particular afternoon, I asked my mom to go along with my ruse of deep sleep, and trick my dad when we arrived at the house. We pulled into the garage, and my parents made small talk about their day when my mom came across some Brussels sprouts leftover from her lunch. Not wanting to throw them away or bring them back in the house, she started stuffing cold Brussels sprouts in my 4-year-old mouth. What was I to do? Ruin my plan? Not eat them? No, I chewed them up and swallowed, still pretending to be asleep. They both thought it was real funny.

Maybe it was the was the marinated flavors of garlic and soy sauce, maybe it was the memory of my father's white Saab parked in the driveway, but to this day, I love Brussels sprouts. And I've been making them often. They're actually mini cabbages (so watch out for gas), and they're loaded with vitamin C, Folic acid, potassium and more protein than most veggies.

Here's what I do:

Trim off the stem and outer leaves, and cut each sprout into two or three pieces.


Then, I do my regular greens routine: Olive oil in a pan on a medium high heat. Garlic in the bottom (sizzle, but don't burn it). Throw those little suckers in. Toss them around. Let them steam for a couple minutes (add 1/4 cup of water if necessary).

Then add soy sauce, lots of black pepper, I had red wine so I put that in. And let them steam a bit longer. Cover as well. Should cook for about 12-14 minutes. You may need more salt. And add any other seasonings you enjoy. Sesame seeds would be good. Here's what they look like when finished:



I made salmon and corn on the cob with it:

Bon appetit.

2 comments: