Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ask Esther: The Goods on Grains

So Mom, what kind of rice should I buy?
Short or long grain brown rice is good; Brown Basmati rice has a delicious aroma that smells like popcorn. And wild rice is the absolute healthiest, but you have to soak it overnight.

What rice should i not buy?
White rice.
(ed: shocker. nothing white lives in the Gordon household, except maybe tennis shoes.)


What about Quinoa (pronounced Keen-Wah) ?
Ohh, quinoa is great. That's the grain with the most protein; you can even get quinoa pasta and the texture is very similar to regular pasta. If you get the quinoa grain, you can make it for breakfast in the morning and mix it with fruit and almond milk.

(this is where Esther takes control of the interview)

You know what I just got? It's called Crispy Brown Rice, made by Erewhon. The only things in it are: organic brown rice, organic barley malt and sea salt. It's crunchy and delicious and only has 1 gram of sugar. You should get that.

Ok Mom, let's end this on a nostalgic note. Give us a story about grains from your childhood:
When I was in the Isle of Pines, Cuba as a kid (back when tourism was big there) they cooked rice in coconut milk, and it was so good. I sometimes put coconut oil and sea salt in rice when I cook it now. Try that, it's absolutely delicious. Also try mixing rices.

3 comments:

  1. I might have to try some quinoa pasta, because I hate, hate, hate whole wheat pasta. I've tried so hard, but the texture is too grainy. Maybe quinoa pasta is the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wol in terms of sushi, are we allowed to cheat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had sushi with brown rice, as I'm sure we all have, and it's just not as good. Yes, you can cheat for the love of sushi.

    ReplyDelete