Friday, August 14, 2009

On Olive Oil

I've gotten a request to talk about the health benefits of olive oil, directed at a man who echews it for its fat content. (This gentleman also avoids avocados). EB--I'm looking at you, and I'm not happy.

Olive oil's health benefits are old news: it's filled with antioxidants, vitamins and nutrients. Yes, it has some fat, but it's good fat, which your body needs. I guarantee it's better for you than that artificial shit you're using to grease your wok.

I recently read not to cook with it above 250 degrees, because the fumes can be harmful. [If you do want to cook with it under high heat, mix vegetables with it before it gets too hot.]

The other night, I went to a tapas restaurant, and on the table was a moat of olive oil, featuring a clove of crushed garlic and a single sprig of rosemary for bread-dipping. You could start with this at home, rather than using butter. So delicious.

In fact, olive oil is so good for you that my Grandma Rose used to rub it on her face to prevent wrinkles. Look at her:

Gorgeous. If you're worried about gaining an ounce from olive oil, let me know--something else in your cupboard needs to be adjusted.

In short, embrace olive oil! Let it into your home. Rub it on your wife. You won't be disappointed.

4 comments:

  1. Wol I'm posting this on our fridge. Thank you for giving it the attention it was due.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wol I use olive oil every chance I get. Actually thinking if deep conditioning the ole hair with it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EB's preference for fat-free (at the expense of good fats) reminds me of another debate I have with myself: Is it better to allow yourself real sugar and just try to limit it, or use artificial sweeteners? This crazy lady at the airport once told me that Equal has arsenic in it. I just don't know what the right answer is. Let's have a post on it Wol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote is limited real sugar. You couldn't pay me to ingest Equal. Well let's be real, you could, but it would have to be over $50.

    ReplyDelete